Thursday 24 October 2013

Acetate 3-d forms...

I created these net boxes of individually shaped hexagons to look into making my previous experiments more 3-dimensional. As I have said before, I do like working to particular measurements and instructions because when followed properly, the results should look perfectly complete with a professional finish. However, when it comes to making 3-d shaped boxes using nets, my results have never been perfect and I find this frustrating. Using hexagon nets found on the internet, I created two different height sized 3-d hexagon boxes. The larger black hexagon box has a better finish that the white smaller one, maybe because of colour? Now I have found a way of turning this structured shape of honeycomb more 3-d, I want to experiment with them, focusing on the elements of materials, colour, pattern and size.
 
 
After using acetate for the beehive experiment previously and the material holding its structure and working so well, I thought I would use acetate to make some net hexagon boxes as I know it reflects shadows beautifully and reasonably clear. Instead of using the same honeycomb pattern as the printed pattern on the acetate beforehand, I decided to go back to my previous digital drawings of natural forms and use them instead for variety in pattern and forms. For my first hexagon net, I used a more detailed linear drawing of a beehive that did not have a precise mathematical layout. I am impressed with the results, more so because the material holds the hexagon structure so well. I like using acetate because it allows me to look through what is produced, it also when combined with light creates/reflects larger but more faded shadows of the natural patterns drawn.
 
Looking into spider webs is fascinating; they create amazing shapes and show incredible design and structure. Spider webs are viewed to be considerably small with a lot of time and effort put into creating the habitat. Before I viewed spider webs creepy and as a sign of spiders and dirt but looking at these drawings. I think the spider web shape would be interesting to work from, I can vision large suspended spider webs from the ceiling in paper, paper spider webs creeping through corners and maybe even using vanishing film with threads on a sewing machine would be interesting.
For this hexagon shaped net box, I digitally printed my spider web drawings onto acetate. In some area’s the shadows are just clumps of darkened shading because the print onto acetate was too dark which is disappointing. Doing this has made me realise that the smaller linear patterns drew create/reflect better shadowing. In this case, less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment