Monday 18 November 2013

New Visual Research...

 
I decided to look at fruit for more primary imagery; some are naturally grown on trees making it appropriate to research. Each fruit has a unique structure within them, strawberries and kiwis have better structure within them to work with, as there is more detail. I began simply block printing with the fruit to create visually appealing patterns. In some of them, the pigments from the fruit ran into the ink adding slight colour detail, which was lovely and unexpected. It made me consider using delicate colouring in my work but I felt like I was not ready to use explore with colour. From the block prints, I digitally drew from them capturing the detail that I perceived and thought would make interesting abstract forms, the kiwi produced some linear constructions. I played around with the compositions of the prints and applied them to acetate.
 
Artists who have used fruit in their work before have mainly been painters who work 2-d; I want my work with fruit to be 3-d because that is what I want my outcome to be.

I began by forming 3-d net shapes again, as they worked so well before, this time I used the acetate sheets of fruit forms. I continued to use acetate because it allows the viewers to look through the net structures and using acetate reflects beautiful shadows. The fruit patterns formed the ‘chaos’ within my theme of ‘order and chaos’ with the precise net boxes forming the ‘order’. I made a number of these boxes that varied in shapes, sizes and patterns. I like that the patterns reflected are abstract and do not literally convey fruit, it adds a decorative look, which would be beneficial for me when working towards interiors. I find this beneficial because I want my work to be visually appealing and my fruit forms being more abstract than literal provides this.


Being that these experiments portray shadows, I think creating a collection of these would work brilliantly as an installation, especially if light was involved. However, realistically, multiples of these attached together would form a nice light shade that would be suitable for interiors. Doing this would create a lampshade that projects my natural patterns around a room, similar to that of Thyra Hilden and Pio Diaz but maybe not as visually clear.       


No comments:

Post a Comment