Wednesday 20 November 2013

A New Direction...

This week I have taken the advice that I was given in tutorial about making a collection of my net shapes. I decided to limit myself to working with one net shape and one natural form so that the collection did not become too chaotic. I chose to continue using the triangle shape inspired by Laura Binyon’s work, which I had seen at last year’s degree show. Triangles are a simple shape to work with and they do not create too many layers that would blur the digital printed images any further.

My initial concern about the collection was there composition, so I re-looked over primary images that I had taken last summer for some inspiration. This is where I came across my primary images of Yoko Ono’s work at the Tate Gallery in Liverpool. Titled ‘Parts of Light House’, this beautiful cluster of 55 glass tetrahedral prisms inspired my own composition. It was inspiring because it fit perfectly with my theme of ‘Order and Chaos’, this composition in conjunction with the layers of natural form worked chaotically together, with the element of ‘order’ clearly presented in the individual triangles.

 
Working with light is something I have always enjoyed, I think this is because I think light makes my work look better, it highlights my works good qualities but will also show my works faults. In my tutorial it was said that the qualities of the LED electronic lights that I was working with wasn’t bright enough so I thought I would use the projector light to photograph my work on so that I could get brighter and clearer photographs. From looking at my images below and others that I have, the projector was a brilliant idea, the photographs are much brighter and clearer and they portrayed aspects that were not visually clear before now. It clearly portrays a 3-dimensional appearance, which gives my work the classification I was after. It also highlights the layers of natural forms, which are visible through each individual triangle. Using the projector has also defined my linear detailed digital drawings making them visually clearer, they appear bolder and they appear more literal. Whilst photographing my work, I became intrigued by the refection’s that were being projected. Using the projector abled me to view my work as 2-d and from another angle, the bottom. I like that some lines are defined bolder than others are, it adds to the quality of my work being 3-dimensional.
Using the projector gave me a lot more to consider, this sample could work 2-d and the scale could be much larger as the projector could attain that.

I decided to add some colour to my photographs and the projections by using colour jells that I had purchased. I chose to work with the colour green because my theme is looking at nature and the colour green is a clear element of it. I like that colour was brought into it but I think for now, less colour is better. Using one bright colour like the images show was too much, it reminded me off kryptonite, something I was not looking to achieve.

Whilst I was at the projector, I began playing around with changing the composition. Because of the fixing agent that I used to attach the triangles together, they could be moved; I exploited this quality and photographed other possible compositions. I like how the triangles can be stacked upon one another, doing this has made me give some thought into scale. So far, I have been working rather small scale with the odd larger scale model but I envisage these compositions on a large scale. A large scale that would tower over the audience, by doing this my natural forms would become abstract. With the light source being a constant feature on all compositions, different flecks of light appears, creating a rainbow of beautiful slight colour. This amount of colour does not ruin my work; it enhances it by giving it more detail, maybe this is how colour will play a role within my work. 
   



No comments:

Post a Comment