Wednesday 20 November 2013

Installation Design...

As the triangle experiment went well, I decided to create another version of it using a different net shape and a different natural form. I chose to work with a cube net shape to create more layers and the natural form that I selected to work with was a set of leaves, which would demonstrate a clear connection with nature. I created more of these boxes than the triangles so that my composition and scale would be bigger. I projected these without attaching them together because at that moment in time I was not completely sure on what composition I was aiming for. When photographing them and playing around with the composition, I began putting them in order of size. Size in order would clearly demonstrate the order within my theme but as the two photographs below show this composition would not work, it is effortless to a fault. Playing around with composition and scale is definitely something that will become more apparent in my major project.

Once that I had made all of these boxes, I was not completely sure on how I was going to use them. My aim for my outcome is that it would either be an installation or interior based so for this collection, I wanted to turn it into a small-scale installation that would be suspended from the ceiling and that is exactly what I did. Seeing this up, I feel a great deal of accomplishment, I created something that I was finally proud of and it represented my theme of 'Order and Chaos' alongside 'Nature vs. Manmade'. The precision of the boxes represented the 'order' as well as the man-made, as they were created by me, the 'chaos' and 'nature' was represented through the natural forms printed on the boxes as well as the presentation.


On a larger scale I would like it to be presented similar to that of Susie Macmurray's work 'Echo' because her work is something I have always been drawn too. I think this is because most of her work is installation based and this is where my passion lies. Macmurray's work 'Echo' looks stunningly presented, it is a beautiful site-specific composition that is placed in what looks like a church. As it is so stunningly beautiful, I was surprised that her installation was created by using violin bow hair and hairnets, unusual materials. I would like my outcome to be similar to that of Macmurray's, I would achieve this by making my collection a whole lot bigger, Macmurray's installation consisted of 10,000 hairnets, so my collection would be time consuming but would hold the same effect of Macmurray's, this being the fragility and delicateness of the collection.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment