Thursday 16 January 2014

A New Technique...

After going into tutorial with ideas of visualisations and prospective outcome ideas, it was suggested that I look at other sources of materials that could work better on a larger scale. Acetate works on a small scale and in multiples as a way of sampling but now, my visualisations are on a much larger scale than originally thought, material choice is becoming a prominent issue to consider. As my theme is of 'Order and Chaos', I decided to experiment with using the laser cutter in order to create specific measured shapes that I could then experiment with and represent the 'order' within my theme. 

I also wanted to use the laser cutter as another form of method to apply my drawings onto a material. Using the laser cutter also allows me to experiment broadly with material choice because the laser cutter can cut through most materials; it gives me extra room to explore. I find using computer applications difficult so using Illustrator to put my designs through to the laser cutter was a time-consuming process. After playing around with Illustrator, I created files that were successfully used on the laser cutter, these files produced simple cut shapes that were all sized consistently, and I even engraved into wood and plastic.



I did chose to work mainly with transparent materials such as Perspex and plastic because I wanted to carry on with the aspect of looking through what is created. I began experimenting with creating different forms and shapes from the laser cut pieces, working without a specific precision
or outcome is hard for me. I created some small-scale triangle pieces that do not fit precisely together but this works for the outcome, they are raw and interesting; I love the pieces when light flickers of them, and they remind me of diamonds. On a large scale, I would prefer these triangles to perfectly slot together to portray the 'Order' within my theme, I also would like my drawings to be placed on the material through the technique choice of laser engraving which would need testing and this is where my next step will begin.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment