Thursday 16 January 2014

Paper Light Shade inspired by Thyra Hilden and Pio Diaz...


After deciding to work with paper again, for further inspiration, I re-looked over my project so far, to gather old inspiration that could be explored in more depth. I began experimenting with the pattern that I had come across during research into 'architecture design patterns’; the pattern was constructed and hand carved to add extra detail to the architectural space that it was positioned in.

I wanted to combine this pattern with light and shadow, the two continual themes that have been running throughout my project. I created this sample from paper and as I anticipated, it held structure and the shape aimed for well, the light extracted through the cut pattern clearly, allowing shadows to be portrayed, this pattern did project around a room but not on the scale that I wanted. The nearer the light source and shade is to a surface the clearer the pattern is portrayed, the further it becomes from a surface the more indistinctive and blurry the pattern becomes.
 

The pattern being projected around a room clear is an important aspect of where this sample was aiming towards and because it does not appear clear enough, I am going to have to re-think on how it can be. I think using a thicker material or changing the scale may improve on the projection. I want a clear projection that would be on the same par as that of Thyra Hilden and Pio Diaz’s mystical forest inspired light shade is.
   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment