Thursday 16 January 2014

Natural form- Spiderwebbs/ Tomas Saraceno's Inspiration...

The spider web form was explored at the beginning of the research stage but it was overlooked during the sampling stage because I quickly moved on towards shells. I wanted to begin exploring the spider web form again but in more depth because after being recommended to look at Tomas Saraceno's work, I thought I had dismissed it too quickly. Digitally drawing spider webs are visually pleasing, they hold pattern and fits perfectly in my theme of 'Order and Chaos' as my digital drawings portray chaotic designs that holds the aspect of order within the spider webs construction, each web is connected together.


Using my drawings, I wanted to create a tactile version of a spider web, I decided to use black cotton thread as my only source of material for this sample because it is a flexible material to work with, it is thin and most resembles the qualities found in spider webs, the cotton also allows room for manipulation and control. I hand tied strings of thread to reach to this sample below. It was time-consuming but the photographs are worthwhile, they demonstrate a clear with my theme of 'Nature vs. Manmade'. Some of my photographs are exciting to look at because I do think they resemble what they were clearly inspired by.
 

Improving this sample and taking the spider web form further, I would experiment with the idea of threads alongside vanishing film in order to create larger samples; I predict that it would also give the spider web form created more depth and detail. Using the thread on a loose stitch on a sewing machine would also give me room to become free with what was being designed; I could become more chaotic and free.


Tomas Saraceno's work (above and below) with the spider web form has been a major influence in my working with spider webs; his work is fascinating, beautiful and incredibly detailed. Saraceno derives inspiration for his pieces from all sorts of things such as; soap bubbles, air dust particles and natural forms. Spider webs inspired Saraceno’s work at ‘The Venice Art Biennale, 09’, the scale is colossal and the presentation is simple and elegant, nothing takes away from his work. I admire how Saraceno uses the web to suspend and present his pieces, this inspired me to want to include the spider web form in my work as way of suspending my 3-d geometric forms.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment