Monday 20 January 2014

Selecting the appropriate material...

I have begun working on how to incorporate the geometric shapes that I have been creating with my digital drawings of natural forms. The natural forms represent the 'nature' within my theme with the shapes created using laser cutting representing the 'man made'. I want to find a method of combining the two that would give me a professional finish. Laser cutting is an option but material choice would need to be taken into consideration as the thickness of a material can affect the result majorly, as seen below. I opted to use plastic because it was a transparent material, that was static and therefore strong enough to hold on a larger scale but with no flexibility available, the plastic had to be cut then attached together using glue, which resulted in a messier and raw outcome. I want my outcome in Unit X to be created from perfectly conjoined geometric shapes that have a clear professional finish, not a raw and unfinished-looking result.
 

However, I did experiment with these pieces with my natural form drawings printed on top, to allow me to visualise whether they would work bigger or not. I added small holes to the plastic, big enough to allow thread to pass through so that I could suspend the shapes in a similar style to that of Tomas Saraceno's work. I do not think this is a positive result, the triangles created look unfinished and cheap. By doing this experimenting, it has confirmed that for my final design samples and result, I would work with a flexible material so that perfectly combined geometric shapes are achieved to a professional quality.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment