Thursday 16 January 2014

Julia and Mark's Tutorial Notes...


After seeing Julie and her advising me that I need to become more decisive on my context, I began to consider where I actually want to see my work. As I am interested in installations, 3-dimensionality and light, these are the concepts my pieces will involve and work towards. To be decisive, I have decided that my work will be produced with a focused contemporary installation in mind. Maybe a type of light installation that; could become a positioned piece in a gallery space or functionally used as a chandelier of some nature. My theme of ‘Order vs. Chaos’, alongside ‘Nature and Manmade’ will still apply as some of my ideas already produced; inspire aspects that could work on a larger scale to become my intended outcome. After taking a week out of my project because of my essay, looking back through my project after this break gave me prospective on where I want my work to aim.

I was slightly nervous at the prospect of today’s tutorial with Mark. After taking some time away from my project, to complete my first draft of my dissertation, I felt lost with what I was going to continue experimenting with. As seen from my blog and sketchbook, I stopped working with acetate as I felt like I had exhausted all avenues and began working with paper. Using paper is where my original experimentation work started to inspired me to work with acetate, by going back to the start by using paper again; I was hoping it would supply further inspiration as to where my project will continue. I created a few samples from paper but using paper did not supply me with any further ideas, I felt like my work was going backwards instead of improving. I began to go through my sketchbook again to pick out samples that made the most impact and this seemed to help but going into tutorial, I still felt unsure of what my next steps were going to be.

After optional tutors and a dentist appointment, it has been 4 weeks that Mark had not seen my work, so getting his feedback was beneficial. Mark suggests to me that I should read and examine my drawings further as this was where all my experiments were at its highest point, they informed my structural work. As I want to begin working with materials, Mark suggested I experiment with the laser cutting but directly cutting out and engraving into a variety of materials. This is something that has interested me, I have been aware of the laser cutter for a while but I did not feel ready, until now, I am going to begin using some of my existing drawings and experiment with them on the laser cutter and engraver, experimenting with a variety of materials.

As I like the transparency that the acetate has provided, I am going to continue using acetate along with other transparent materials such as plastics and Perspex. I also want to experiment with fabrics but not in as much depth, I just want to experiment with material qualities to find the one that is appropriate for me. I visited Aidan, the laser cutter technician and he was incredibly helpful on where I need to begin with illustrator, time scale for each piece and material sizes for testers. By Monday or Tuesday, I am hoping to have a selective range of illustrator designs, taken from my drawings, which I will then go on to the laser cutter with. From here, I think it will provide me with a lot more ideas on materials, patterns, scale and structure, to experiment with and maybe help produce some visualisations that all lead the correct way.

No comments:

Post a Comment