Thursday 16 January 2014

Integrating the spider web form into my 3-d geometric shapes...

After looking at Tomas Saraceno's work and deciding that I want to integrate the spider web form into my 3-d geometric shapes that I have been creating, I started to experiment with this idea by sewing the spider web form directly onto them. The sample created is sewn on a clear acetate box that does not have any of my drawings printed on them so it does work well, however, if I did this web onto a 3-d container that has my drawing already printed on them, I do not think the combination of the two would work. The combination of the two may be too chaotic and distracting to one another that I would maybe consider using the spider web form differently.


I have been making individual containers that differ in size, shape and pattern but have always kept the vision of working with them in multiples in the back of my mind because I think near to the end; this is where my ideas will lean towards. I began to consider using the spider web form as a way of connecting a collection of these containers together to form an installation or maybe a gallery situated piece. I used the spider web form previously created and hung one singular container from it, this itself pulled the web heavily down, making me consider whether the idea of multiples being presented the same way would work. For this to be a reasonable outcome, I would have to put major reconsideration into material choice and scale.

I did begin to look at other alternative sources of materials that could make an interesting web but the outcome was not as expected. As I have said I wanted to become more free and loose with the web form, I decided that hot glue draping into the form of a spider web could create an interesting outcome. The decision to use hot glue to drape came from the work created and produced by Yasuaki Onishi. Titled, 'Vertical Emptiness', the outcome is purely beautiful. However, my outcome failed, the glue did not drape as intended, nor connect together, and I just ended up with clumps of glue sporadically positioned. I did find that the glue reflected shadows that could easily portray clear visible imagery around a room.
 
          


No comments:

Post a Comment